Step 4. F

Sunday 6 April 2014

Wonderful Renewal

Well, we all know spring has started. You want to know how I can tell? The sun shines into my living room in the early morning- I love it!



I don't know about you, but I get excited about this time of year. It's a time of change, a time of letting go, a time of growth, and best of all, everything is colourful and NEW!

So what do we do when this time of year comes up? We spring clean! Well, most of us.. But it really IS the perfect time to do so! With all this 'newness' of the year, its a perfect time to let go of what no longer serves you- emotionally, mentally, and physically.

You may be asking,

"well, where's the best place to start?"

I have a great notion that starting with your home is the BEST place to start! So many books I have at home on clutter (I've been diligently working away at it for about 10 years, yes, 10 years), and one in particular called "Clear your clutter with Feng Shui" by Karen Kensington that discuss's how physical clutter reflects your internal clutter. If your looking for a book on how and where to start, I would recommend this simple, and easy to read book- it's pocket size so you can put it in your purse or bag, and read it on the sky train (if you live in Vancouver like me), bus, or train while on your way to work, or if your toddler is taking a nap (that's my free time). The chapters go into different areas of your life like physical clutter in the home, mental clutter, and emotional clutter- all are inter-related.

Personally, I know when I'm not in a good place. I can tell when I'm stressed because my house becomes cluttered; papers gone awry, laundry basket  becomes overloaded, dishes are piled up in the sink. My mental clutter shows in the way my house looks.

Are you holding onto old clothes, gifts, or just plain old "stuff" that just sits there? There's a great rule I've read, and it goes something like this

"if you don't use it, lose it!"

Maybe that's just my saying, who knows.

If it all seems just too overwhelming, and it CAN feel overwhelming, start with just one space. Maybe it'll be your

  • junk drawer
  • closet 
  • living room
  • car (YES, your car too!)
Gretchin Rubin talks about physical clutter in the beginning of her book "The happiness project", on how we actually have MORE energy by clearing away things we no longer have use for (or maybe, truthfully NEVER had use for).
The only way you'll get through your clutter is to

"Just do it"


this is one of my favourite mottos to live by.

I haven't started my spring cleaning yet, but I'm excited to! With a toddler in the house I actually try to do a mini spring clean every season, and with a move coming up for my family and I at the end of May, I'm really in the mood to purge as much as I possibly can (less to pack? I think yes!).

Here's a great blog called "5 strategies to spring clean your entire life" by Trish Allan for some additional tips on spring cleaning. I know I can always turn to Mind Body Green for great content from awesome bloggers. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Have you started spring cleaning, or just don't know where to start?  Where ever you are in your process, I'd love to hear about it, and maybe we can help each other out!

No comments: